SS&DBKA Members
A Brief History Of The Association

A brief history of the association :

1883 - First Meeting of Staffordshire County Beekeepers' Association at the Swan Hotel, Stafford. Although there had been bee keepers' meetings and shows before this.
1940 - there were over 700 members and they were centred on branches in Wolverhampton, Cannock and Stafford.
1942 - the insurance scheme of the British Bee Keepers' Association was joined.
1946 - saw increased capitation fees from BBKA and the members in the North formed their own association (North Staffordshire BKA).
1962 - the County Beekeepers' Association amalgamated with the South Staffordshire and District Bee Keepers' Association.
We now have 170 or so members who come from Stafford, Cannock, Wolverhampton and a wide circle outside that triangle.
Our Apiary is maintained in Shugborough Hall grounds where we have 15 hives, storage sheds and a marquee for small meetings. We hold the beginner meetings and apiary meetings there in the summer months.